Pink Diary Cover

I managed to finish the diary cover for my sister this week. Last time I posted I’d got as far as making pink batts and choosing the embellishments. I finished the layout the next day.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI wanted to create a feel of lots of different textures, but without it looking like it was ‘piled’ with embellishments. So after adding the fancy fibres and the cotton, silk, organza and synthetic fabrics, I added wisps of wool that I pulled from the batts. Close up of embellishments:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAIt took a long time to do the layout, so I didn’t get chance to felt it until the next day. This is the piece when I’d just felted it and rinsed it:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI was taking lots of photos of the felting process for a tutorial and I think by repeating some of the steps for photos, I ended up fulling it a lot more than I usually do! It did shrink quite a lot.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERACoincidentally, it shrunk width-ways to the exact size I needed for my notebook cover. This is a photo of the pieces cut out: Main piece, the front and back pieces for the closure flap, and the strip to cut two straps.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI didn’t have the right colour thread for blanket stitching, so I made my own by splitting some lengths of embroidery floss in half and joining some pinks and lilac shades together. This is the front all finished

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd this is the back:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAIt does remind me a bit of a toilet roll cosy and I’m sure Barbara Cartland would have loved it, let’s just hope my sister does πŸ™‚

This entry was posted in Design, Stitching, Wet Felting and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Pink Diary Cover

1. I am sure she will love it. It is so well done and the color is beautiful.

What a stroke of luck with the shrinkage widthways being spot-on. Brilliant idea to mix the embroidery floss and it looks just right.
    It doesn’t look like a toilet cosy – it’s a very pretty girly cover and I’m sure she’ll love it.

Thanks, Lyn πŸ™‚
      The thing is my sister is like me, not into ‘pretty, girly’ things. I probably should have made her a brown one for her allotment notes πŸ™‚

3. It came out great Zed. I am not a big pink person but this is really nice. I am sure your sister will love it.

Who wouldn’t love that cover?! There’s an art to choosing embellishments, and I like how your choices turned out. How long would you say it took to make the cover from start to finish?

Thanks luvswool πŸ™‚
      My mum asked me the same question the other day πŸ™‚
      This did take longer because I was taking photos and notes, but blending wool takes at least an hour or two; laying it out usually takes me at least an hour and half to two hours; probably half an hour to 45 minutes to felt it; depending on how much measuring, probably 30 minutes for cutting out the pieces and choosing threads; the sewing takes the longest part because there’s measuring, repositioning, tiny little blanket stitches … along the top and bottom takes 30 minutes each, maybe 20 each for the inside flaps, I’d say at least 2 hours for adding and blanket stitching the flap/straps/delrin clip. Maybe 7 and a half to 8 hours in total. The big part is the straps/flap because they have to be positioned, then the part where they go through the delrin clip has to be blanket stitched. Then lots more measuring, positioning, trimming, sewing etc.

5. “Pretty in Pink”, a classic! Well done, Zed!

6. Teri Berry says:

I’m not a “pink” person either but this is very pretty and I love the textures, the zigzag lace on the back is particularly effective. I’m sure your sister will love it πŸ™‚

7. Nada says:

Wau, Fantastic! Pink is my colour and what a combination of different materials you put together and fantastic texture you achieved in the end! Zed, I deeply admire your knowledge of materials and immagination you have in creating your works.

I’m sure she’ll love it zed. The pinks work well together and the embellishments look great. πŸ™‚

9. Marilyn Nelson says:

It’s beautiful — I’m not a pink person either. But I think all the embellishments toned down the pink just right. It’s very elegant and not girly girl. I hope your sister enjoys it and appreciates your fine artistry.

Looks great – she better love it πŸ™‚

11. Love the textures in this Zed. Good idea to mix the embroidery threads…this has to go on my list of things to try out.

Thanks a lot πŸ™‚
      I don’t tend to use the embroidery threads, as much as perle 5 cotton, but that just fell apart when I tried it, so I’m glad I have lots to use now πŸ™‚

12. I think you should attach your reply to Luvswool to the cover so she knows how much work you did.

Heh, yeah, and put it in the description for selling for those people who think the price is too high πŸ™‚

13. Beautiful texture. I’ll have to try this. Thanks for sharing!