Fabric Paper Lamination

I met with my local surface design group yesterday and we learned the fabric paper lamination technique. We followed the directions from Paper and Metal Leaf Lamination: A Mixed Media Approach with Cloth by Claire Benn, Jane Dunnewold and Leslie Morgan. We just did the most basic technique of laminating paper to a sheer fabric. In the book, the authors use the resulting pieces of fabric and layer them together with stitch and other mixed media approaches. I thought that I might take the small samples I made and see if they would work with nuno felting since it is all done on a sheer fabric. But I haven’t tried that yet. I’ll let you know how it goes.

fabric paper laminationLouise had made some samples to show us. This photo shows two of her samples.

fabric paper laminationThis is one of her samples that she then painted.

gold leafingThis is a “gold” leaf sample on black organza. Don’t you think this would look cool on felt? I’m not sure how well the gold leaf would hold up to wear though.

base layer of paperSo the first step is to place a piece of paper down on your work surface. This is one of Louise’s dyed papers. You can use any thin paper that you would like, similar weight to newsprint works best.

cover with nylon sheer or organza

Then you cover the paper with a layer of sheer fabric. This is polyester organza.

fossils screened on with gel mediumI don’t have any photos of the process, but I then covered the organza with a silk screen that I already had. You could also use a stencil instead of a silk screen. Then you squeegee gel medium through the screen or stencil. The gel medium then sticks the paper and the organza together. Let that dry completely.

Carole's TreeHere’s Carole’s piece where she silk screened a tree on to a napkin.

newspaper photo with organza and matte mediumThis is one I did with a photo on newsprint.

Bunny's Asian ScreenHere’s one of Bunny’s with an Asian symbol screen printed on it.

Screening on NewspaperYou can’t hardly see the organza on this one but I did an ink blot on the newspaper.

Ginkgo Leaf Screened on LeafingThis is a ginkgo leaf with the gold leafing.

Bunny's SquaresThis is another one of Bunny’s. After the gel medium has dried, you iron the piece (not the gold leaf ones) for “10 minutes”. I only ironed mine for about 1-2 minutes as I couldn’t manage a full 10 minutes of ironing. Somehow that seemed excessive 🙂

removing paperThen you soak the piece in water for 10 minutes and scrape off the paper that hasn’t adhered to the gel medium.

Finished Fossils - Organza Side UpHere is my fossil piece. This is with the organza side up.

Finished Fossils - Paper Side UpThis is with the paper side up.

Organza with NewspaperThis is the ink blot and newspaper one.

Bear Photo FinishedAnd here’s the bear photo. They have already been soaked in water so they are impervious to any damage from more water. They are on organza so I can’t see why they wouldn’t nuno felt. What do you think? This could be a cool way to add photos and stencils to felt so that’s the next step, add wool and see how that works.

This entry was posted in Experiments, Mixed Media and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Fabric Paper Lamination

1. Teri Berry says:

Wow Ruth, this looks amazing, thank you for sharing. I agree it would make a beautiful surface decoration for felt. I can’t wait to try it! What was the gel medium that you used?

They’re beautiful Ruth! It’s worth a shot to try nuno felting with them.

What an exciting session and interesting results – I’d love to see some nuno made using this idea.

(Does anyone iron for 10 whole minutes….ever?)

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Lyn – it was fun and really easy. So I’ll try it with nuno and see how it works. In regards to ironing – my answer is a resounding no.

4. I like the fossils and the photo. The newspaper one doesn’t do much for me but the idea is really cool. It will be interesting to see how it felts. Are there still holes on the fabric or are they covered by the paper and gel medium.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Ann – I agree that the newspaper one needs a little work but I think on a dark background, it might have potential. Where ever you see the “paper” there are no holes left in the fabric. But the edges are all completely free of gel medium. The one that I have doubts about is the photo but I’m going to try nuno and see what happens.

5. This is the kind of stuff that our fiber arts group is exploring this year. We are working on how to develop layers.

That looks really cool 🙂 I wish you’d done it before the mixed media challenge, I could have transfered my pics onto fabric first instead of the painted board! Is there any reason it has to be thin paper?

• ruthlane says:

Sorry Zed on the bad timing! But it was easy to do so you could give it try next time your painting. The thin paper works best so that it gets saturated with the matte medium. You pull most of the paper off anyways and thick paper usually just peels off if the matte medium isn’t well soaked in. But thick paper will work if you’re careful and make sure you get lots of matte medium through on to the paper.

7. kwinter12 says:

This is a great technique, isn’t it? I did a short two-day course on this last year and loved the results but wasn’t sure what to do with them. Our tutor emphasised that the idea was to get a good balance between the imagery and the transparency – she seemed to use hers as hangings.

I never thought about using it for nuno felt, mainly because the fabric was polyester rather than silk (because it has to be quite robust when you scrub off the excess paper). But I’ve not been very experimental with nuno felt. 🙂 So I shall dig out my samples and give it a go! Thanks for the inspiration (again!)

• ruthlane says:

Kim – it is a great technique. Yes, it seems that most people use them as wall hangings and layer them together with stitch etc. I would love to see how your samples turn out. I haven’t done mine yet as I was a bit lazy this weekend.

8. Pingback: Felting with paper and synthetics | Flextiles

9. Pingback: Nuno Felting with Fabric Paper Lamination | feltingandfiberstudio

10. Pingback: Stitched Nuno Felted Paper Fabric Lamination Pieces | feltingandfiberstudio

11. Pingback: Another Sample of Nuno Felting with Paper Fabric Laminated Organza | feltingandfiberstudio

12. Pingback: Fabric paper lamination | Teri Berry Textile Artist