Yurt Making with Kostya

My friend Paula and I were fulling the third piece of the roof felt down at Camas Creek Yarn store on Friday, when two women came down to see what we were doing. It was a mother and daughter. Tris, the daughter, explained that she had adopted a baby boy from Kazakhstan and that he was now 10 years old. She was very interested in the yurt building process so I invited Tris and her son Kostya to join us in felting the last piece of the roof on Sunday.

kostya10

My sister Margaret was also visiting. So just as we started laying out the wool, Tris and Kostya came to help.

kostya11I showed Kostya how to wet down the wool.

kostya12And he was off and spraying.

kostya13Then we covered it up and did a little felt walking to get the air out.

kostya3We folded it since it’s so big and then we rolled it up. We’re all working at getting the ties tightened down.

kostyaHere I am tightening it down.

kostya5And then off it went on the tractor. Kostya was a big help and it was hard to tell who got dirtier knees, me or Kostya.

kostya9I also showed Tris and Kostya the yurt frame and how it would go together.

kostya7And here he is with the felt that was drying from Friday’s fulling operation. Isn’t he great! I had a great time explaining the yurt and felting process and really appreciated the help – Thanks Kostya and Tris. Hopefully, they will be able to make it to the yurt raising next week.

Yurt RaisingAnd speaking of yurt raising, we did a sneak peek Monday to make sure we knew how it will all work and to see what else we need to do.

yurt raisingWe had to figure out what height the tono needs to be to achieve the correct angle for the roof poles. It was a bit tricky getting the separate lattice sections overlapped properly but we got that done.

Yurt Raising

So we kept putting it up higher and higher. The poles on the ground are to get the circle the correct size. It doesn’t work well if your circle is off to start.

Yurt RaisingWe eventually got it fairly well figured out. Now we have to tie more cord to attach the roof poles to the walls. But it’s coming together. The party invitations have gone out and the yurt raising is happening next weekend. So exciting!!

This entry was posted in Yurt and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Yurt Making with Kostya

Wish I could be there to see it Ruth! Hope all goes to plan, I’m sure you’ll have fun! 🙂

• ruthlane says:

Oh, I wish you all could come. Wouldn’t it be fun? But I’m planning on taking video and photos so you will all get to see how it goes.

It’s all coming together so well! We want lots of piccies of the wonderful event Ruth and I wish you good weather for the raising.

• ruthlane says:

It is coming together and we’ll see how well when we try to put it all up. It is supposed to be a beautiful fall day with sun so hopefully the weather predictors are correct. Lots of photos and video to follow 🙂

3. What an incredible adventure for you and your family. Well done.

4. Looking forward to the yurt raising and see all the smiling faces sharing in the experience! Awesome project, Ruth!

5. Very cool I’ve enjoyed watching your progress, looking forward to the finished product.
    Thanks for sharing.

6. Marilyn Nelson says:

Wow! It’s really coming together. I wish I could be there, but I’m sure you’ll give us a full report. It’s great Kostya and Tris were able to help.

7. Wow it really is coming together. The light at the end of the tunnel is so close. I wish I could be there to help. It is so nice you got to meet some new people with lots of interest and enthusiasm. I hope the weather works in your favour.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Ann – I wish you could be there too! It has been interesting to meet people in regards to the yurt process. The weather forecast is good as long as it doesn’t change. 🙂

8. lizseville says:

Have the greatest time. This is a project I have followed with delight.

9. Tris says:

Ruth, Thanks so much for sharing Kostya’s experience. He loved seeing the pictures and he’s really looking forward to the official “raising.” I’m so grateful that he’s been able to participate in a project that is so culturally authentic….especially this far from his homeland! We’ve all learned so much!

Aaw, I want to live in Montana and make yurts. That’s really cool that Tris and Kostya got to help out. I hope you have a great time at the rasing. You’ve worked so hard and it really has been fun to read about 🙂

11. Betsy says:

this is so awesome! I love this family and am so excited they get to be a part–what a cool thing, especially for Mr. Kostya! Tris suggested I let other adoptive families know about it, so I posted your blog on our agency Facebook page!