2nd Quarter Challenge Piece Finished
I finished off the natural vessel I showed felted, but not shaped or fulled, a couple of weeks ago:
It’s made with various wools, I took a range of naturals to the well being centre and I think the first two (inside) layers are Portuguese Merino from a batt, and the next two are brown Finnish. I took lots of locks in too, mostly Swedish breeds/crossbreeds from Zara in lots of shades, but I might have used a few BFL locks too:
If you saw my post last week, you might be interested to know how the thing which looked a bit like a pizza base turned out. This is my entry for Ann’s 2nd Quarter Challenge, which is “using fabric as a surface design instead of a base”, but Ann then added “As an extra challenge to you it can’t be a sample and it can’t be a book cover” 🙂 Luckily, I’d already had an idea which would fit the challenge, since we’d been doing ‘extreme nuno’ and vessels at the well being centre, I’d planned to combine the two at some point, and Ann’ challenge gave me the push to do it.
I cut out a template, sort of bowl shaped, but not for any reason, I just wanted something big and not square. Then I started adding strips of white fabrics to it: synthetic chiffon, muslin, scrim and cotton gauze. I then added fine layers of Rambouillet. The photo I showed last week was where I’d wet it all down and had started to felt it. This photo is of the piece felted, you can see the resist starting to curl from the shrinkage:
As soon as I started to full it on the bubble-wrap it really puffed up!
I removed the resist and carried on fulling, I turned it the right side out, and realised I’d accidentally made a felted cow stomach!
I did a bit more fulling and tried it on a balloon to shape and removed it see if it was fulled enough:
It wasn’t, so I did a bit more fulling, , this isn’t the best photo, but you can see the shrinkage, it started out the full height of the netting:
I rinsed it and left on a balloon to shape and dry. This is how it looked finished:
This is some nice ruffley chiffon on the bottom, between some Cotton Gauze and cotton scrim:
The chiffon ruffles up so nicely:
This is an area where I overlapped different fabrics:
And, since the thought behind the idea was that it’d make an interesting lampshade, here it is on a lightbulb (btw, if you tell someone to look at how cool something looks on a lightbulb, warn them when you’re going to take it off, apparently some of us forget and ‘blind people for hours’!)