Challenge – make an item for your home for the festive season

This  is my version of a commonplace Christmas decoration – it’s not an original idea but it’s unique because I’ve made all the bits. I used fibre in the form of fabric, yarn and merino wool tops.

My colour palette was inspired by the winter sky – blue, white, yellow, pink and grey.

I cut a suitable branch from my garden then coloured it with dark blue acrylic paint (photo below shows the branch before painting)…

…then I rummaged around in the glass recycling bin for a suitable bottle to put it in.

To make the cracker, I used a piece of cardboard tube rolled up in fabric (you can see the white tube through the fabric in the middle) …

…then tied either side of the tube with sewing thread.  The ends were trimmed with pinking shears and the cracker was finished with some narrow organza ribbon.

I knitted a stocking using a  free pattern for mini knitted socks  then stuffed it with some merino wool fibres.  I like this pattern because it’s knitted on two needles, not the usual four, so it’s very easy.

The snowgirl was made from 3 large white felted beads and some floral wire (see how to make felt beads ) and how to make a felt bead snowman).

Her hat is made from a rectangle of knitting drawn up along one long side, seamed, then a small pompom added made from the same wool.

Her scarf is a simple knitted i-cord.  Here is a video – how to make an icord

The tree is a scrap of blue felt, cut to shape, then decorated with fancy yarn.

The star is cut from a scrap of thick felt – yellow on one side and pink on the other.  I applied PVA glue to the edges to stiffen it.

I made 5 snowflakes but each is unique – that’s another way of saying that I made several mistakes because I was watching a film whilst crocheting and not paying enough attention!

I made 15 large felt beads in winter sky colours – but I only used 12.  As I was hanging everything onto the branch I reached a point where I realised I had enough and I had to stop.  The photo below shows them drying on a rack.

Everything was hung onto the branch using thin, yellow coloured wire.

This was a really easy, fun Christmas decoration to make and the variations are countless.  I hope you enjoy making something for your own home, and if you want to share photos please post them here fourth quarter challenge 2020

About annielynrosie

rosiepink is a mother and daughter team.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Challenge – make an item for your home for the festive season

What a wonderful holiday display! I love handcrafted ornaments so these are perfect. And no two snowflakes are alike so no worries about the crocheted snowflakes.

• annielynrosie says:

Thank you Ruth. Decorations don’t have to be perfect or complicated – the best ones are fun to make and look at. I really enjoyed making this.

2. AdventuresInFelt says:

These are lovely! I used to have all of the children’s handmade decorations on the tree. My daughter has them now. I just pull out a 3ft ready decorated tree every year as I have a tiny space. I didn’t make decorations for myself this year, but I did make some for others. I try and make something every year now. By the time my children have little ones, they should have a nice collection. 🙂

• annielynrosie says:

Thank you Arlene. I love to see children’s handmade decorations – I think they’re good because children are so free with colours and patterns.
      A collection built up over the years is fun and when they get unpacked every December each one brings memories.

3. Karen Lane says:

You’ve created a beautiful display and it’s so nice to see it done with such a delicate colour scheme.

• annielynrosie says:

Thank you Karen. The winter sky palette does make a change from traditional Christmas colours and it really suits the modern trend of pale grey walls.

4. Lindsay says:

Lovely festive fun display. Looks great! So nice to have unique home made decorations.

• annielynrosie says:

Thank you Lindsay. I’ve loved making Christmas decorations since starting school but back then it usually involved a paper plate, a candle, glitter, lots of glue and some greenery from the churchyard next to the school.

5. Antje says:

I knew this was your post without reading the name….the colours gave you away. Your decorations are a happy mix & definitely bring a smile.
    As many have said above they conjure memories of happy times making ornaments with, for and by my children.
    You’ve given me an idea – this year I will gather them onto my ‘seasonal’ branches I have permanently displayed in a corner. They can replace my trees & deer winter tableau.
    Thanks Lynn

6. annielynrosie says:

Thank you Antje. This is the first bare branch decoration I’ve made and I love it.

Although it’s only Nov 5th it’s on display in my house ready for Christmas!

7. Great Christmas piece. I live the small knitted bits and how did you get a wire to go through the balls? My bigger needles don’t even like to go through.