Continuing Slow Stitching

I am still stitching away on my landscape piece. I had the background mountains stitched down the last time I showed it to you.

I then got the middle distance hills stitched down. This fabric was a bit harder to stitch as it wasn’t as felted and tended to fray. But I persevered.

Then I got the two pieces in the foreground stitched down so all of the landscape is now in place. Now to decide what to add.

First I tested the moon. I didn’t want to cut the fabric if I wasn’t going to use it so I pinned it into a sort of circle. You’ll just have to imagine it being really round. Then I tried some wispy clouds. Then since our challenge this quarter is to add twists and yarn, I decided to try out a tree using up some recycled yarn. I have a whole bunch of yarn that was from old knitted things that people didn’t want anymore. It is very kinky from being knitted but I like the look for representing an old, gnarly tree. Guess which one I chose?

If you have been following this blog for long, your probably guessed tree. And yes, I decided on adding a tree to the foreground. The left is the start of the tree and the right is where I am now. The curled up thread  in the middle is only partially stitched down and will follow up into the branches once stitched. I have a bunch more to go on this tree and need to add in some darker values I think after looking at these photos. I will keep you up to date on how the stitching is going.

This entry was posted in Stitching and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Continuing Slow Stitching

1. annielynrosie says:

It really does represent a gnarled tree! It’s lovely to see the progress.

2. Looking great! Can’t wait to see the finished artwork. I like the idea of yarn turned into a tree.

3. Lise says:

Love the tree in the foreground!

4. JP Macconnell says:

Ruth, this is beautiful. Very rich colors, the blue especially. Looking forward to our class in a couple of weeks. Happy holidays to you and Dennis and Symphony. J P

5. Antje says:

Once you experimented with the richly textured yarn – it was obvious that there was no going back for you to other options!
    Looking forward to seeing this piece finished in all it’s glory.

6. Flextiles says:

Very gnarly! 🙂 And a good choice – I think it needed something in the foreground.

Great choice! The tree is going to look great. The whole piece is 🙂

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )