Tubes and Mats

I enjoyed playing around with the tubes at the well being centre, so decided to make another piece last week. I think it’s because the tubes are already made, so there are less decisions/choices which makes it even more ‘mindless’ and relaxing! I didn’t even really think about background colours too much, I just knew I didn’t want blues, so grabbed a bag of pinks and oranges. I wasn’t aiming for another challenge piece, I just wanted something simple with a bit of contrast:

The tubes I used had quite a lot of fibres blended in, they’re a bit more obvious from this angle:

And, maybe it’s just me, but the whole piece looks very different depending which way around it is:

A close up I like:

Earlier this year, I made a mat with the intention of taking it out with me for when it’s cold, so I can sit on it at the bus stop! I got the idea when I needed to sit down, but the wall was freezing, so I took off my woollen gloves to sit on. I actually didn’t get a chance to try it, but here it is:

The temperature suddenly dropped here recently, and it reminded me of the mat, so I thought I’d make another:

If this weather continues, I might have to make a blanket for my knees too!

This entry was posted in Wet Felting and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Tubes and Mats

1. annielynrosie says:

What a good idea to have a mini blanket to sit on! The cold does go through the seat of one’s pants fairly quickly doesn’t it?

The tubes piece is lovely with its background that melts from fiery hot to shady claret.

Thanks, Lyn πŸ™‚
      I should have taken it out with me this past week, it was 3C a couple of days and I did have some hanging around to do.

I love the pink/orange tube piece. And what a great idea to made a pad to sit on the bus. Stay warm!

Thanks, Marilyn πŸ™‚
      I will probably safety pin it to the flap of my trolley so I always have it coming home from the well being centre!

3. Lise says:

Beautiful!

You made a “sit upon”! We used to make those for Girl Scouts. They weren’t felt but the same idea. The tube piece is lovely and I really think that almost any piece looks different when you turn it in different directions or crop it in different places.

Ah, they have a name?! We have a bit of a crude saying up here for when people hover and don’t sit down when visiting etc: ‘park yer arse’ πŸ™‚ I was thinking of calling it a ‘parkyer’, so I could use the saying when someone asked why!

5. Antje says:

Love the colour combination in your tube piece – very vibrant.
    What a brilliant idea to solve the perennial cold seat problem.

I too would need a blanket for my knees, then my ankles, in fact my whole legs back and front, then my shoulders, then my……..ooooops that was my bus, I’ve missed it, I was too wrapped up!

Thanks, Antje πŸ™‚
      Yeah, I could do with ones to wrap round my thighs, I got superficial frostbite years ago, and it still hurts every time it is cold!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )