Preparing Nuno Landscapes for Framing

I have been working on getting my nuno landscapes prepared for framing. I have to say this is not my favorite part of the process. But I want these to look professional for the upcoming exhibition so I am trying not to procrastinate too much in completing these.

I hand dyed all the backing fabric. I had to add a bit of fabric paint to four of them to make them darker. I always have a hard time getting the exact color I want with dye. I never take the time to figure out a “recipe” for certain colors. Then I hand stitched all the nuno landscapes to the backing fabric. I used a hand applique type stitch and it is barely visible.

I got all of the foam core backing cut to size by the framer.  Each foam core backing is 2″ bigger on all four sides of the landscape. Thin cotton quilting batting was cut to the size of the foam core and then all three layers are put in place and pinned.

Once the landscape is pinned in place, lacing can begin.

Lacing is not hard but does take a lot of time and the thread does have a tendency to get all tangled up while working. Plus the tension needs to be correct so that the fabric is stretched evenly over the foam core board.

Here are four of the pieces on their backings. I have two more to complete and then they are off to the framers. Once they are framed, I will show them to you again.

This entry was posted in Finishing/Framing and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Preparing Nuno Landscapes for Framing

1. Carol Tummon says:

Ruth these are very lovely and thanks for giving instructions on how to mount your work. I hope to begin trying to do some landscape felting and your instruction is very useful. Good luck with your upcoming exhibition. Beautiful work.

All the very best.

Carol

I had no idea felt works could be mounted this way, thanks for sharing, Ruth! Have you ever considered waxing the thread before lacing? It’s what bookmakers do in bookbinding and it really helps keep the threads tangle-free 🙂

3. tracey2008 says:

What a wonderful way to display your lovely work Ruth. They are going to look great in the exhibition.

I’ve never seen the lacing method. Thanks for sharing. It must take a lot of patience. All the mounts look great. Wonderful color combinations. I look forward to seeing the finished framing.

5. Karen Lane says:

The finishing and presentation is so important but it’s surprising how many folk don’t bother to get it right. Your pieces look wonderful and it’s certainly been worth the time and effort you spent on each of them!

Wow, they look amazing, Ruth! You chose the background colours for the fabric really well. And they’re all so neat!

7. Antje says:

Fabulous. I love the colour matching you’ve achieved. What fabric did you use for the backing?
    Yes lacing is very time consuming, requires long lengths of thread and can easily get tangled just by taking your eye off it! You’ve achieved a lovely even tension.
    I’m looking forward to seeing all of these framed.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Antje! I used a cotton muslin for all the backings. Glad the lacing is finished 🙂 They are at the framer’s place now.

8. Fabulous! They all look great, but the sunset is a real eye-catcher!

9. Lillian Johnson says:

These pieces are gorgeous & inspirational.
    Thank you for sharing how you prepare and back your pieces.
    The notes & photos are very clear & helpful.

10. Lindsay says:

Lovely work, Ruth. I’ve really enjoyed seeing the progress of each of the pictures and am so happy to see them approach the end of their journeys. Love the lacing – I’ve not seen that before. Thanks so much for sharing and look forward to seeing them back from the framers & hopefully on to new homes.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Lindsay, it has been a journey for sure. I am happy to have them completed and at the framers in plenty of time for the exhibition. And I would love for them to have new homes 🙂

11. Great way to mount them Ruth. I am not so sure about the sunset backing but its probably my computer screen. the other are lovely. Are you using glass in the framing?

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Ann, the sunset backing is a bit darker than it shows on screen. It’s not the perfect color but it works. I won’t be using any glass in the framing. Just a simple black wood frame.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w