I am still working on another idea from the First Quarter Challenge, adding mixed media to felt. Here is Part One, Part Two and Part Three if you missed anything. I had decided that I wanted to try to keep the poured paint cotton a little smoother when incorporated into felt. So I thought I would make a little felt frame for it.
I used short fiber black Merino and made a small oval resist. Here I laid it out to kind of get an idea of what I wanted to do.
I then took it over by the sink and wet down the bottom layer of wool, added the resist and then added the top frame portion of wool.
When I wet it down it was all wrinkled and had pits in places. So I added more wool on top to fill in the parts that needed it.
Then I began gently rubbing it. I didn’t get any further felting/fulling photos because I got into felting and forgot.
Here’s what it looked like when dry. I then cut the paint poured cotton to size and inserted it into the frame.
The framed result on the left is much flatter than the result on the right when the cotton was felted inside and then cut open. Both are interesting but with very different look.
I also tried some free motion machine stitching on the left over piece of paint poured cotton fabric. It stitched very easily, much nicer than the paint poured felt. And it didn’t need a stabilizer as the paint provides stiffness.