Thin Felt and Spinning

Last week at the well-being centre I made a sample of felt that would be suitable for a lampshade cover. We’ve spoken about it there before, and samples usually explain things a lot better than words. I used a blended batt which was mostly Merino, but had some other fibres blended in too. I did two fine layers, then teased out some dyed locks to add, then did another two fine layers, and added embellishments. It was a lot duskier in colour than I expected:

Some of the embellishments I added were from a box listed as ‘silk threads’, I didn’t think they were, so burnt a piece when I got home, and it smelled like cellulose, so I’m going to guess they’re Viscose/Rayon. They’re really nice, whatever. I also used some throwster’s waste, nylon and viscose fibre:

I love holding thin pieces up to the window:

On this one you can see the losks between the layers a bit more clearly:

I mentioned not so long ago, I’d been writing a tutorial about how to make soft wispy felt, and I’ve finally nished it. Funnily enough, it’s called Learn to Make Soft Wispy Felt 🙂 I did a blog post about it the other day, and you can find all the info on the ‘Soft Wispy Felt’ page 🙂
I got my spinning wheel back out this week, I thought I’d finish off the batts I’d made with the ‘superwash’ type yarn to finish off the weaving. Apparently I hadn’t made any more purple, just a purple/blue blend and a multi batt. I span the multi batt first. It’s alright, but looks quite dull in places where there are too many colours:

I unwound some from the bobbin to see how it was looser, I liked how it looked in this photo when it twiddled itself together:

I was reading something for Ruth’s Fauvism challenge which got me thinking, so I made a thinner yarn with the purple/blue batt, really thin in places:

And I wanted something even thinner, so after a bit of a poor start with some green, got what I was after with some turquoise:

Then for some reason, yesterday, everything I tried was ‘bobbins’ as we say up here! (rubbish, from rhyming slang–bobbins of cotton=rotten). I must have put my tension spring thingie back on wrong!

This entry was posted in Spinning and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Thin Felt and Spinning

1. nvukadinovic@gmail.com says:

Zed, congratulations on your new tutorial. As always, very good photos and should be easy to follow. I love all the yarn that you have spun. I’m still learning how to ue my drop spindle and hoping I’ll achieve something like yours one day.

Thanks, Nada 🙂
      I hope I can be half as good with the wheel as the spindle, that’s a lot easier to control!

Nice clear visuals on your tut. 🙂 I was wondering how your spinning was coming along. Like the multi yarn. Are you going to ply and set it or is it for curly embellishment? 🙂

Thanks, Judith 🙂
      I’m not sure yet, even a lot of the multi-batt had some of the superwash stuff in, so I might need to do some experimenting. I might knit with some.

The lampshade sample is cool. I always like how those look up against the light and the locks add so much texture. Hope your new tutorial sells well and is the yarn for the Fauvist challenge?? 🙂

Thanks, Ruth 🙂
      I’m not sure if that yarn will be for the Fauvism challenge, but I wanted to practise getting thin yarn for it. It’s still at the ideas stage so I might mix techniques.

Congrats on finishing the tut. The pictures look great as always. I like the see thru lampshade sample. You made the yarns from batts? I guess I know nothing about spinning. But I do like the yarns especially the blue/ purple. And I love thick and thin yarn so much personality. Can you do something with the turquoise to fix it?

Thanks, Marilyn 🙂
      I didn’t spin straight from the whole batt, I split it first, but they’re ones I carded so are more like wide roving sheets. I found the less neat batts easier than roving though, that seems to require a lot more concentration. Does the Turquoise look that bad?! That was the ‘success’! 🙂 It was some of that weird superwash purple that I tried, it feels weird and just kept pulling away, maybe the staple length was just different so I was letting it out too much (don’t know technical terms!) to catch the twist before pulling away. It’s in weavable size lengths though so that’s alright.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

I didn’t think the turquoise looked that bad, but it sounded like you did. Alll this spinning is totally foreign to me, but glad you’re enjoying it.

Love the yarns and the ‘see-through’ felt Zed!

Spinning, yay! Very happy you’re back into it. I like how the multi batt came out, I don’t feel it’s dull at all! And if it feels nice and springy when you ply it against itself, it means there’s enough tension for later, when you ply it 😀 You can do a centre-pull ball and ply that yarn against itself and keep all the colours together…
    Now I feel like taking my wheel out for a spin!

7. great piece of felt. I always love light thru those long locks. The spinning is coming along great. The wheel is a lot faster then the spindle. Must be why I like my spindle best.