Unknown Botany Lap Waste Update

I finally got around to felting a sample of the turquoise Botany Lap waste I used on a piece I blogged about a couple of weeks ago. It was the lighter blue stripes on the back of the piece, and in patches in a couple of places. Noy surprisingly, it didn’t felt in exactly the same way as the purple sample I tried and mentioned last time:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAIt even separated at one end like the purple piece did:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is how it looked at the window:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI bought some ‘slik n soft’  50/50 Superfine Merino and Tussah Silk in the same order, so just out of curiosity, I made a small sample of that. I’d started to worry I’d lost my felting skills, but it was pretty obvious as soon as I’d wet the 50/50 down that it was already starting to felt:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI don’t think I’ve ever used a really blended blend before (if that makes sense?!), I liked how it turned out. I’m still none the wiser about what those tops are, but at least I know it’s not something I did, or didn’t do!  Before I tried felting any of the Botany Lap waste tops, I’d tried spinning some. It was only the 2nd time I’d used my wheel, so thought the trouble I was having was beginner’s issues and also because I was trying tops. My first attempt had been from blended batts I’d drum carded and was much easier. I’d always planned on using the spun yarn for weaving anyway, so used some on one piece:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI made a fibre sampler at the Well Being Centre the other day, using staple fibres in 3 different ways. From top to bottom: Nylon, Plastic, Soy Staple, Bamboo, Cotton. I forgot to use Viscose. The first column is ‘as it comes’; the second column is the fibre ‘fluffed up’ and the third column is some fibre and some wool fluffed up/loosely blended together:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is a close up of the Plastic fibre all fluffed up:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd this is how the fluffed up Soy looked after felting:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This entry was posted in Weaving, Wet Felting and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Unknown Botany Lap Waste Update

I can understand why you were worried about losing your felting skills after that experience – thank goodness you went on to make the successful mauve piece!
    The weaving is a lovely combo of colours – is it just a practice piece or do you have something in mind for it?

Thanks, Lyn 🙂
      I didn’t have anything in mind for the weaving when I started, but it did make me want to get a bigger loom because it’s so soft and would make a nice scarf!

2. I like your sample piece, such a useful thing to refer back to! What did you fluff with – a carder or just by hand?

Will you keep the botany waste pieces as samples or will to do something else with it? I like the colors and the weaving looks great.

Thanks, Marilyn 🙂
      I thought I might separate the layers of each piece and use it with actual wool, like something halfway between an embellishment fibre and a thick, fluffy fabric.

Mystery fiber still a mystery 🙂 Your weaving looks great and the fiber sampler is always good to refer back to when trying to decide on a embellishment.

Thanks, Ruth 🙂
      A few people at the centre want to buy themselves some embellishments for at home, so we’re doing a bit of experimenting, and I thought I might ‘donate’ my piece for reference.

5. More Great samples. You do all the work and we get all the benefit. thanks!