Triangle Nuno Scarf

I saw a Knit triangle Scarf that looked interesting and thought I could do that with nuno felt.

pfeilraupe01_medium

If you would like to knit it here is the link. It is available in several languages. http://alpis-farbenrausch.blogspot.ca/p/strickanleitunen.html

I wasn’t sure of the finished length but I was thinking about 6 feet.  I cut a piece of silk 4ft by 8 ft. and then cut that corner to corner to make 2 scarves.

I cut the slits first, inserting resists to make sure they holes stayed open.

triangle scarf 3

The first layer of wool was one of my own batts that I split in to thin layers.

triangle scarf 1

Then more colours, well shades of purple mostly

triangle scarf 4

Then I added some silk top and throwster’s waste. Mostly purples again and I used some turquoise for pop.

triangle scarf 5

6 feet seems to be the right length. I think you could do it a bit smaller if you wanted or if you are petite.

scarf 2 scarf1

All in all I am very pleased with it. I may iron the folds in to it but I haven’t decided yet. I will add a picture on the mannequin a little later. I don’t want you all to be waiting for the post, thinking I have forgotten about you.

Here is the scarf on the mannequin.

triangle scarf finished 1 triangle scarf finished 2 triangle scarf finished 3 triangle scarf finished 4The first 2 are with the silk side out and the last 2 with the wool side out.

This entry was posted in Design, Experiments, Nuno Felting, Scarves, Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Triangle Nuno Scarf

1. Willena says:

It’s beautiful Ann!

2. Frances says:

Very nice – I like the slits in it – how large did you make them?

• Thank you Frances. I made the holes 3 inches and they probably lost 1/2 and inch. I think I would make the bottom 2 smaller next time. they do not end up with as much fabric in them.

I think it’s going to look fabulous – what a great idea!

4. nvukadinovic@gmail.com says:

Interesting Ann, I saw the same scarf and had the same idea as you, i.e. to make a felted scarf. Yours turned out very nice. I like the colours and would like to see it on you or on a manequin..

• Thank you . It doesn’t lie the same as the knit one. It doesn’t have the same weight. I will probably end up ironing the folds in. The pictures of it on the mannequin are up now.

5. Elizabeth Lanier says:

Just gorgeous. Blues and purples are my favorite palette. Just starting out with nuno. Do you use 8mm silk chiffon? Could you recommend some sources for purchasing silk? Thank-you.

6. Really lovely! You’ve inspired me to get back to felting Asap and give this a go!

7. Marian Mills says:

Really fabulous, I love the colours and the idea of threading a scarf like that.

Gorgeous scarf Ann. I love the colour combo and it looks great on the mannequin. What a good idea to have those slots to keep the drape in place.

Thanks for the link to the knitting pattern – since my felting mojo has gone walkabout, I think I’ll make the knitted version. 🙂

Just seen the additional photos Ann – beautiful!

10. Teri Berry says:

They are beautiful Ann, and such a neat idea.

Love it Ann!. I do think it would look great if you ironed the pleats in. Very posh 🙂

12. Sylvia Lee says:

What a beautiful idea and a lovely drape.

13. That is just beautiful – and such a clever idea!.

Just love how your nuno scarf turned out! Very stylish to use the pleats in a draped fashion. Do you think the slits will need reinforcement?

• Thanks, I think the holes will be fine. I did make sure there was wool raped around to the back through the holes. I think if it was just wool it would need some stitching but with the silk it should be fine.

Great idea and gorgeous outcome. I love the scarf and the colors!

16. marcela ramirez says:

hermosa…. quedo hermosa, felicitaciones.

That’s really nice, Ann! I love your dyed silk and the colours you chose.