Still Stitching Pomegranates

I have stitched a little bit more on my pomegranate piece. I had time when we went on a quick road trip this past weekend. I’m still not sure what direction I am taking with this so it’s kind of just “free form” stitching at the moment.

Stitched Pomegranates

This is the entire piece. I mainly added more stem stitch around the various pomegranate shapes.

Stem Stitch

I like how the stem stitch really defines the shapes. It is my go-to stitch for curving lines.

Close Up Stem Stitch

Here’s  a little closer view.

Seed Stitches

I did add a few more seed stitches but not many.

Another Pomegranate

Now I need to decide if I am going to add more to the background. I was thinking about adding branches and leaves. What do you think?

For those of you in the northwest United States, Gail Harker from La Conner, Washington is coming to Kalispell, Montana at the end of June to give a Level 1 Experimental Hand Stitch course.

poster

Northwest Montana is a beautiful place to visit and you could combine the class with a vacation. Road trip anyone?

Level 1 Stitched Page

This entry was posted in Stitching and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Still Stitching Pomegranates

1. Briony says:

Love these pomegranites, even better close up.
    Briony
    x

2. how beautiful! love stem stitch.

They’re looking good Ruth!

4. Mary Stori says:

Ruth…..love what you’ve done so far…..since I have a fairly high tolerance for embellishments….I’d def. consider adding stem, leaves….perhaps highlights on some of them with beads?!?

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Mary! I like embellishments on other’s work but somehow, when it comes to mine, I’m a minimalist. Not sure why.

The piece is coming along nicely. I think a few well placed leaves and stems would work. Now I have a taste for pomegranate. 🙂

It looks really nice 🙂 I agree about the stems and the leaves, especially if you stitch them like the stitching you’ve added so far. I love that last picture, is that a page from your notebook?

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Zed! I definitely think I’ll do some stems, leaves. Just got to figure out where exactly. The notebook page is an example from Gail Harker’s class. I think she painted and stitched it.

The stitching does a nice job of detailing the pomegranates. I would definitely add some stems or leaves with a very light touch of embroidery.

8. I agree too definitely stems and leaves. I think having more colour will make it pop more. Could you play with a picture of it and try some different embellishments till you see how you like it. I am like you I like others “busy” work but never seem able to do it to my own work.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Ann – the green will definitely add a nice pop of contrasting color. I will probably take a look at in Photoshop or use tracing paper to decide how to progress.

Very nice looking pomegranates, Ruth! Somehow they remind me more of spilled glasses of red wine than fruit, but I’ll admit your stitching changes that a little 🙂 I’d go for a more abstract version, so if I added leaves I’d make them in a way that would leave room for imagination…

10. Flextiles says:

Love the stitching – it really adds depth. I think pomegranate leaves are fairly simple ovate shape, so they shouldn’t cause too many problems for your minimalist design. 🙂

11. Pingback: All Sewn Up | feltingandfiberstudio