Fourth Quarter Challenge 2014

For this Quarter, I have chosen ‘Land Art‘. I was initially going to choose a specific artist for this challenge, but in the end I just couldn’t choose just one, the whole ‘movement’ is so inspiring. In case you haven’t heard of it, Land Art – according to Wikipedia ” is an art movement in which landscape and the work of art are inextricably linked. It is also an art form that is created in nature, using natural materials such as soil, rock (bed rock, boulders, stones), organic media (logs, branches, leaves), and water with introduced materials such as concrete, metal, asphalt, or mineral pigments. Sculptures are not placed in the landscape, rather, the landscape is the means of their creation.” (i.e, not Christo)

colleen proppeThere are so many inspirational artists, one I really like is Richard Shilling, a flickr search gives you lots of great photos, have a look at this link: https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=richard%20shilling  He has inspired others to create land art too, such as Colleen Proppe, who made the Leaf Flag in the photo above. Andy Goldsworthy is another name many people might recognise. Scott Robinson was inspired by him to make this Leaf art:

Scott Robinson
I discovered the work of Tom Hare while I was looking up land artists and sculptors, he does some gorgeous work. This is his website: http://www.tomhare.net/portfolio This is a photo of one of his willow sculptures, a Horse Chestnut breaking open, taken by Jodie Brodie:

Tom Hare
Have a search on google for Land Art and Land Art Artists, I can guarantee you’ll be inspired! Feel free to post your work on the forum in the 4th Quarter Challenge thread: http://feltandfiberstudio.proboards.com/thread/1788/fourth-quarter-challenge-land-art  Have fun!

This entry was posted in Challenges and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Fourth Quarter Challenge 2014

1. Nada says:

This is a very interesting challenge indeed. Thank you Zed for this idea, very original!
    The first thought that came to my mind was that I could use skeletonised leaves in felt. In fact I made an experiment trying to skeletonise leaves by cooking them in washing soda solution but unfortunatelly failed (perhaps the leaves should be young and picked up in spring). Never mind. I’ll try to think about something else.

Thanks, Nada 🙂
      I thought of skeleton leaves too. I think the commercial ones are from the rubber tree.

Zed, this will definitely be a unique challenge. It will be interesting to see how everyone interprets this concept.

3. craftywoman says:

what a great challenge, it will certainly get the ol’creative juices flowing, which is exactly what I need 🙂

Great idea Zed! This is a great challenge to end the year and I’m sure we’ll get some interesting results. Can’t wait to see what everyone creates 🙂

Superb Zed! I’m looking forward to having a go and seeing what everyone else gets up to.

6. Wow Zed, this is a very thought provoking theme for a challenge, what a great idea. Since discovering this site earlier in the year I have so far shied away from joining in but had promised myself to have a go at the last quarter challenge…..I only hope I can get my head around it.

7. Great challenge Zed. I have no idea what I will do. Cant wait to see what everyone comes up with.

8. Karen says:

Zed, would you just confirm something for me regarding the materials we can use for this challenge please. Do they all have to be natural or can I include metal wire and manmade fabrics? I was thinking about doing something along the lines of my Tyvek leaf but if this is not appropriate I am happy to do something completely different.

Hi Karen,
      No, the materials don’t have to be natural at all 🙂 Anything really, as long as it includes something fibrey, so any kind of felting, stitching, mixed media, sewing, quilting, spinning, weaving, using wool or yarn, crochet, knitting, embroidery … and any other materials like wood, wire etc can be included, and something like your tyvek leaf would be excellent 🙂

9. That’s great! Thanks Zed.

10. I am thinking about asking my small fiber art group to meet the challenge of working on projects for one year without buying one thing to use. You would have to work completely from your stash or what you find out in your yard or garage or somewhere around your house. Now, that would really be a challenge.

I don’t think I’ve bought anything specifically for a challenge, but I can’t imagine not buying any supplies at all for a year! 🙂

11. Pingback: My First Attempt at Land Art – 4th Quarter Challenge | feltingandfiberstudio

Quite intriguing challenge, one which will require a bit of thought. Must do a bit of research, as well, which–in my book–is always a good thing.

I’ve enjoyed the research for the other challenges and did a fair bit for this, it can never hurt 🙂

13. ange says:

I am going to have a go at this. Zed, is there a closing date ?

There’s not really a closing date, though we’ll be posting a new Challenge in January. I hope you enjoy it 🙂

14. jane dolan says:

Well what a bit of serendipity! and I would go so far as to say a very odd (in a good way) coincidence!! I do a bit of stone balancing and had followed a link to a you tube video that described it as Land Art. Mmmm i thought thats a good term. Pop in to the Forum and find Zed has posted the 4th quarterly challenge and it is Land Art!!! What the heck!! might be a prompt for me to combine some of my obsessions – I mean passions. My stone balancing is very simple but I do love the amazing structures that others make https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqUsFbAWtdw

That is a weird coincidence! The day I posted it, Marilyn posted a link on the forum to an Australian who embroiders leaf skeletons and other plant related things http://www.boredpanda.com/embroidery-sewing-sculptures-Meredith-woolnough/
      I liked the wobbly reflections in the video 🙂

• Jane says:

Yes I had seen Marilyns link, loved Meredith Woolnough’s work, such intricate detailed patterning. I think I have a photo on my flickr stream of someones example of skeleton leaves felted, it was right back when I started felting and I remember being amazed but I don’t remember what sort of leaves she used. The skeleton leaves I find would not stand up to felting.
      And what is your opinion do you think yarn/felt bombing would be considered land art? or if it is in the urban environment is it street art? if you wrapped inner city tree trunks in rainbow felt would that be land art or not? Thanks Zed this challenge sure has got me thinking.

I’ve used Skeleton leaves a few times, do you remember Inger? She sent me some a few years back: https://www.flickr.com/photos/zedster01/4666174651/
      I think the commercial ones are from rubber trees, a few people on the forum tried to make some with varying results, Kaz tried Eucalyptus and ended up with a pan full of gooey gunk!
      I don’t think Yarn bombing or felt bombing would be considered Land Art, but I’ve seen Land Art where trees have been wrapped with bark, and naturally made twine etc, so there’s no reason why something like that can’t be the inspiration for a tree wrapped in a felt rainbow!

It doesn’t have to be literal, it’s just a source of inspiration. Of course if anyone feels inspired to make Land Art too, that’s cool and I’d love to see it. Ruth and Lyn have 🙂

15. Pingback: Fourth Quarter Challenge – Inukshuk | feltingandfiberstudio