Another Sample of Nuno Felting with Paper Fabric Laminated Organza

I am planning an online course about mixed media surface techniques with felt and so I’m working up various samples. I will also be working on videos and PDF’s for the course but I haven’t started those yet. I wanted to try a piece with more surface texture and using the paper laminated pieces as focal points. I wrote several other blog posts about the process here, here and here if you don’t know what paper fabric lamination means.

Initial Layout

Here’s the initial layout. I had made the paper laminated pieces quite a while ago but I used a thicker paper and it didn’t work out as planned. But I decided to go ahead and use these pieces. They are very light in value so I chose a darker felt background to show them off better. I used a merino batt that I had carded for the base, added the paper laminated pieces, added a dark navy blue and small pieces of cheesecloth. I wanted texture from the cheesecloth so I wadded it up a bit.

Close Up of Paper Laminated Organza

Here’s a closer look at one of the paper laminated organza pieces. I used screen prints that I made several years ago of fossils.

Cheese Cloth

You can see that the surface is textured at this point before wetting down.

Wet Down and Rubbed Gently

Here is the piece after I wet it down and rubbed a bit.

Trilobite

And a close up of the trilobite fossil organza piece. The colors of the photos above are not true. The ones of the finished felt below are the more true colors.

Completed Felt

Here’s the piece after I finished felting. I love the texture and I did make the edges uneven intentionally as I wanted it to feel like a “fragment”.

Close Up Texture

Here is a closer view of some of the textures. I plan on stitching around the fossils to give them more emphasis but I took my sewing machine in for a cleaning and tune up. So I’ll have to wait on the stitching of this piece. If you’re interested in learning more about this technique, please let me know and I’ll put you on a mailing list for when the online class is ready.

This entry was posted in Mixed Media, Nuno Felting and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Another Sample of Nuno Felting with Paper Fabric Laminated Organza

1. Alison gartner says:

Please put me on the mailing list for class and videos.

The felting looks really good Ruth and I know you’ll stitch it up a treat.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Lyn! I can’t wait to get my machine back from the shop. I don’t like not having it available when ever I want to do some stitching.

3. Please put me on the mailing list too, please

Love it! My two favorite things — paper and felt! I wonder if handmade paper would hold up. I have plenty of that. Please add me to the list!

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Marilyn – I haven’t tried paper that I’ve made but I have used “hand made” paper that I bought. It was a bit too thick but it still worked. I’ve got you on the list 🙂

5. Teri Berry says:

looks great Ruth, I can’t wait to see more “samples”, sounds like it will be a very interesting course.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Teri – I will be making a lot more samples I’m sure. I think I might do 4 week modules so we can go in depth into each subject. Then if someone only wants to do a portion of the class they can without taking the entire thing.

6. Great piece Ruth. I am sure you will do a great class. You are very good at explaining things. It amazes me that you don’t get any migraton of the fibers through the parts of the pattern that are not covered with paper.

7. craftywoman says:

Ruth, this is inspirational, the fossils look like they’ve always been there, you are so creative 🙂

8. kwinter12 says:

Fantastic textures – love the trilobite! Hope you get your machine back soon – I’m looking forward to seeing the stitched piece.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks – I am supposed to get my machine back on Friday. I will get stitching on this as soon as I can. Got several things going at once as usual.

This turned out really nicely, Ruth 🙂 I love the textures you got, I think using the batt rather than tops was a good idea, too.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Zed – I like using batts. You just have to be careful that you’ve got even layers but it is really fast layout otherwise.

I’m in love with the “true” colours of the final piece! The fossils just lend this archaeological air to it all, makes me think this is some sort of primitive art found in an excavation 😀

11. Julie Kennedy says:

Hi Ruth,
    I would be very interested in taking your on-line class.
    Thanks,
    Julie

12. This beautiful Ruth. Can’t wait to see it with stitching as I loved your phone case fossils which were outlined in thread.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks – I already did a post with the stitching. Not sure where it is but you could search for stitching and fossils and see if it comes up.

13. Boris says:

WOW just what I was searching for. Came here by searching for yo