My girlfriend bought me a bike a couple of months ago and a big sturdy lock for it. There’s nowhere to attach the lock to the bike though, so I thought I’d make myself a drawstring bag just big enough for carrying the lock and a few tools. The first bag I made turned out a little too small and a bit thin on the bottom so I’ve put that to the side for now. I used a bigger template for the next one. I started working inside out and laid out some pieces of silk and cotton gauze in shades of black and white for the front. I was just going to use black Merino for the top layer, but compared to the black, the silk looked blueish so I used some dark ‘midnight’ blue Merino as well. This is how the front turned out after felting:
On the back I started with a piece of black silk chiffon, I thought it’d help reduce pilling (bobbles) if the bag rubbed on my back while riding. It really sunk in and isn’t really visible unless you look really hard! I used some grey merino with the black for the back.
I wanted to keep the natural top edges, but it seemed simpler to cut it straight across for adding the webbing I wanted to use as a channel for the cord. I cut the bag at the top at each side, slightly smaller than the width of the webbing I was using, then I sewed the webbing on with the machine, leaving each end open. You can see from this photo that I used some scrim for a lining on the bag.
I’d originally planned to use eyelets at the bottom for the cord to go through, but after looking online I had a choice of spending a small amount of money for a few eyelets and a little plastic kit, or a large amount of a money for a really sturdy metal looking kit and about 400 eyelets. I’m not planning on making that many bags, so I decided to just cut the holes I needed and blanket stitch around them 🙂
I’m just in time for Ruth’s Jackson Pollock studio challenge. I thought of many things to do for this, one idea was to do wool and wire sculptures based on some sculptures Jackson Pollock dabbled with. I thought about ‘action painting’ some silk, but in the end, I thought I’d do something based on some works of his that weren’t action paintings. They had large areas of coloured shapes, this is a good example. I thought I’d ‘modernise’ it a bit though and use brighter colours and silk and gauze pieces. And since I was enjoying making bags, I thought I’d use my idea and make a bag at the same time. The bag turned out great! The design though, was a little bit bright, and really, not in the slightest like a Jackson Pollock painting!