Nuno Felting with Fabric Paper Lamination

A couple of weeks ago, I posted about doing fabric paper lamination with my local surface design group. I used three of the pieces that I made to nuno felt the fabric paper on to wool. The process worked just like any other nuno felting. The important part is that there is plenty of organza around the image that has been laminated. The images themselves block the wool migration so you need to make sure that there is enough surrounding fabric for the wool to adhere around the image.

NewspaperI laid out the wool and then added the image on top. On two of the pieces, I added wisps of wool around the edges. This is the ink blot newspaper image on black short fiber merino.

PhotoHere’s the bear photo laid out on white merino. I thought I might make this into a book or photo album cover so I made it double the size of the photo.

FossilsAnd here’s the last one of fossils laid out on natural dyed wool (I think it is walnut but could be barberry.) I then felted as usual.

Newspaper FeltedHere is the result on the newspaper image.

Texture of NewspaperFrom this angle you can see the texture.

Photo Felted

Here’s the bear. The problem with the photo is that it is such a big section that doesn’t felt, just the edges are adhered. But it has possibilities, don’t you think?

Fossils Felted

This is the fossils after felting. I love the texture created with the organza, so organic.

Close Up of FossilsHere’s a little closer look. There was no real change in the fabric paper lamination part with the nuno felting.

Free Motion Machine StitchedI decided to add stitch to the fossils. I free motion machine stitched around the edge of the fossils with a dark, burnt orange thread.

Close Up of Stitched TextureThe fossils are now much more prominent with the stitching added.

Front of Phone SleeveI then made the fossil piece into a phone case. I obviously didn’t plan this in advance as the pattern isn’t well centered but I think I will add a button and loop at the top to keep the phone from sliding out. Anyone who knows me well will laugh at the idea of me making a phone case. I just got this new smart phone because hubby got a new one and could get a second phone for $10. I never use my cell phone. At least this one I have been leaving it on but since I don’t give out the number, no one ever calls. But now it will be safe in my bag ๐Ÿ™‚

Back of Phone SleeveHere’s the back of the case. The sides of the felt were a bit wonky thus the wonky seam.

Stitch Closer ViewAnd one last close up. I really like how this technique worked and I think I will be doing some more of these. A couple of other people tried out the technique as well. Take a look at Teri Berry’s postย and Kim Winter’s postย where they tried out my idea for combining fabric paper lamination with nuno felting.

This entry was posted in Nuno Felting and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Nuno Felting with Fabric Paper Lamination

Those fossils look really good! I hope your phone doesn’t fossilise in there from lack of use! ๐Ÿ™‚

The fossils are very pretty! I like them equally with and without stitching.

It’s a fascinating technique to use in felting.

What do you think the bear would look like with a bit of stitching?

3. Teri Berry says:

Wow, I’m in love with your fossils, the stitching really brings them to life. I have been completely absorbed by this technique, this morning I was nuno felting some samples with materials other than paper, some have worked beautifully others were total failures. Will share more in a post tomorrow.

4. Pingback: deep purple November | Principally felt

5. Marilyn Nelson says:

They all look great. It appears the more open designs do better with the felting so there is more area to catch fiber. Thanks for sharing!

6. kwinter12 says:

The fossil piece looks gorgeous – the stitching really lifts it! Look forward to seeing the other pieces after you’ve stitched them!

7. Very unique effect you get with the paper and wool. Not like anything else I’ve seen.

8. The fossils with the stitching are really striking. I can’t believe how you went around all those intricate squiggles. I think the others will improve with stitching too. It is an interesting idea. maybe I will find some time to give it a try this winter.

They turned out great, Ruth, really interesting. It’s weird how the newspaper inkblot has the look of wet scrunched newspaper after felting ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Pingback: Stitched Nuno Felted Paper Fabric Lamination Pieces | feltingandfiberstudio

11. Pingback: Another Sample of Nuno Felting with Paper Fabric Laminated Organza | feltingandfiberstudio

12. Pingback: The last few weeks – mostly ‘pants’ but some great highlights! | Pollyanna Penguin's RA Blog

13. Pingback: Experiments in fabric lamination – some finished pieces | Teri Berry Textile Artist

14. Pingback: Experiments in fabric lamination – take 2 | Teri Berry Textile Artist