I mentioned in my last post that I’d finished my white texture piece that I’ve talked about recently. Here is the photo from the last post of it all sewn up. I finally managed to get a bright enough day to take a photograph. With all of the locks it’s really quite big, so I had to take it outside and photograph it on a large piece of cardboard. It’s roughly 16 inches x 11 inches, but the locks at the bottom are almost 11 inches long.
I wanted to try something different, so when I laid it out I left a space in the centre without any wool then added a piece of cotton gauze after the second layer of wool. It was here that I added the wool locks around the edges as well. I then added another two layers of wool. The surface texture around the edge of the gauze is soybean top, a piece of cotton gauze and silk noil.
I kept the whole texture piece soft and spongey by using wools like English 56s, Swaledale, Texel and Cheviot. For surface texture I used cotton gauze, scoured Bluefaced Leicester and Wensleydale as seen in this photo.