Studio Challenge

A few months ago I revisited an idea I’d had a few years ago for using wool twists to add texture to felt. This led to developing the theme we’ve used for this quarter’s studio challenge: Twists, twirls and spirals. This could be anything from including coiled or twisted wool in felt or a mixed media piece, using or spinning yarns, creating a 3D object such as a twisty hat or vessel, or using a spiral design on a flat needle-felted piece. There’s no size limit and the piece can be in any medium.

I’m still working on my piece, but here’s a sneak preview of some of the merino and plastic fibre blends I’ll be using.

If you’d like to join in with the challenge, there’s a couple of ways you can do this. Firstly, we have a flickr group, if you have a flickr account, click to ‘Join This Group’ then add your photos. Don’t forget to tag them “Felting and Fiber Studio” and also “Twists, Twirls and Spirals” (using quotations around the tags keeps the words separate). The second way you can join in is by commenting on any of our Challenge posts and linking to your blog, website or photo hosting site so we can see your photo.

These challenges are just for fun, to make us think and try out new things, or even revisit old ideas with fresh eyes or different fibres. We look forward to seeing what you make πŸ™‚

This entry was posted in Challenges and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Studio Challenge

1. artbylizb says:

Count me in! Never thought about using plastic with wool, but I suppose just about anything can be felted as long as there are holding threads to anchor it. Thanks for the challenge.

Thanks Liz, I’ll look forward to seeing what you come up with πŸ™‚
      The plastic is unusual, kind of spongy. And yeah, pretty much any fabric or fibre will felt or can be incorporated into felt if it’s blended or anchored properly πŸ™‚

2. Karen says:

Very cool zed and i think the plastic fibre feels a bit like fairy floss, it has that spongy kinda melt in your hands feel πŸ™‚

Ha, yeah πŸ™‚
      It has a weird kind of holographic look to it in low light too. I tried to photograph it, but couldn’t!

Is the plastic fiber like Angelina fiber??

4. Hi,
    I recently e made felted vase cover with a spiral theme that might fit your studio challenge. You can see it at:
    Thanks for including me on your blogroll – I feel very honoured!

Deborah

That’s gorgeous, Deborah πŸ™‚
      I love the lilac colour and the beading. Thanks for joining in!
      You have lots of really nice work πŸ™‚

My interpretation of nebulae.

nebula 1

nebula 2

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )