Handmade Greetings Cards Using Felt

I was talking about making things from spare felt recently. I never throw any pieces of felt away, however ugly or small. Even the tiniest slivers cut from the edges of felt get saved up for re-using, usually between the layers of textured felt. I was looking at some of my smaller pieces and wondered if they’d be any use to my mum who makes her own greetings cards, so I asked on the forum if anyone knew the best way to attach felt or fabrics to card. I got some good advice and when Ruth and Lyn both said the easiest way is to sew them on, I thought I’d give it a go myself.

I spent a good few hours cutting, measuring and scoring card, cutting out felt, choosing colours of thread to use…and then my machine wouldn’t work :( I think I must have done something to it when I tried to sew organza, no amount of cleaning and oiling seemed to help, it just kept making grinding noises and chewing the thread. But, a few days later, it was back to normal! It must have needed the oil to soak in or something.

So, I got all my supplies out again and started sewing away. Before long, I had a nice pile of almost finished felt greetings cards.

When I was asking on the forum about attaching the felt, Lyn also suggested using cards with a double fold, so that the sewing on the back could be hidden. I do have some of these, but they have an aperture, so weren’t any use.

After lots of measuring and dividing and practising, I worked out a good system for scoring the cards so they folded well. I used standard A4 size card, cut in half, so that I had two long strips. On the back side, I measured 98mm in from the left side, and 99mm in from the right, and scored gently. This left the centre panel where the felt would go, approximately 100mm wide.

After working out where the felt would go, I then sewed it into place. You don’t need a fancy machine, mine is an old electric Singer without power :)

Once all the felt was attached, I turned the card over and added a couple of strips of double sided sticky tape.

Once the flap is folded over to cover the sewing you have a gorgeous, unique greetings card :)

I’ve made a PDF file with more photos and more detailed instructions. If you’d like more info on how to make your own cards, just click the link below

Handmade Greetings cards Using Felt

Do you use fabric, felt or fibres for greetings cards? Do you have any photos or tips you’d like to share?

This entry was posted in Mixed Media, Stitching, Tutorials and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Handmade Greetings Cards Using Felt

1. artbylizb says:

Great work Zed. I’m like – can never throw any felt out. Another nice way for thinner pieces is in window cards. They can be glued down behind a tri-fold card and look great

Thanks, Liz :)
      I was thinking of trying some thinner felt or maybe fabric backed with the window cards I have. Some fabric glues were recommended on the forum.

Those cards are beautiful and I especially like the last one – felt and card does it for me!

Thanks, Lyn :)
      I liked how the last one turned out too, but I think the 3 greens and square brown one are my favourites.

3. these are gorgeous, id like to try working with felt

I really like these – difficult to choose which I like best! :)

Those turned out great! Glad your sewing machine decided to behave :)

Thanks, Ruth :)
      Yeah, I’m glad my machine started to behave too, I’d started to think I’d have to buy a new one.

6. Your cards are beautiful. They have so many color variations. Much nicer than store bought cards. I made some and did a little beading on them. Everyone loved them.

Thanks Judy :)
      Beaded cards sound nice, I don’t think I have the patience or eyes for that!

7. kipamela says:

Great idea and easy-to-follow tutorial, thanks Zed.

8. Instead of sewing you can use a very thin application of a good quality glue — it does not take much to get the felt to adhere to cardstock. Sewing takes more time — but the texture adds interest!

Yeah, I might play around with sewn textures more, I had a few pieces of sewn felt to make a card with, but that’s when I discovered the machine was misbehaving so I’ll have to unpick them.

9. Lovely! A good use of those lovely little bits.I tend to use mine as tiny details on landscapes.

10. Inspiring Zed. I will have to get my machine serviced sooner rather than later.