Felt Birdpods and natural wool

I really liked the way my first bird pod turned out last week, so I decided to make a couple more. I recently got some dark brown Corriedale and thought it wold be nice to try one with that. Like the first one, I started off with a couple of layers of Merino, natural brown this time, and again added the locks before the top two layers of Corriedale. I added some washed Gotland fleece and some bamboo fibre to the top for extra interest and really liked how it turned out. The bamboo started to look ‘rusty’ in places. I gave this to my mum today and she really liked it.

The last pod I made was an all white one for my girlfriend. I made this a little larger because I wanted to use extra locks. I started this one with two layers of English 56s. The locks I used were Teeswater, Mohair and older Angora goat locks. Teeswater locks are really long, some of the ones I had were 15 or 16 inches, I used those across the top to come out at both sides. The top two layers were merino 64s, then for extra texture I added some combed teeswater tops, Angora and Mohair locks, some very crimpy Bluefaced Leicester, and some carded bamboo fibre. Even if we never get birds nesting in these, they’ll look good with the locks swaying in the wind :)

Staying with the ‘natural’ theme, one of my other natural wool and fibre combinations I tried recently was grey Norwegian tops and Milk protein fibre. I liked the way the crimp and wave of the Norwegian wool appeared after felting, it really gave it an interesting texture. And the way it pulled on the milk protein fibre, which was already waving from being pulled by the shrinking felt, gave that an interesting texture too, and made it more rippley. I really like the way those two worked together. I’d be interested in any of your favourite wool and fibre combinations.

This entry was posted in natural wools, Other Fibers, Wet Felting, Wool and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Felt Birdpods and natural wool

Lovely bird pods! The white one is very arty and beautiful. But I have a feeling the birds will probably like the corriedale best because it will blend in very well with other garden colours and look as if mother nature made it.

The norwegian wool tops and milk protein fibre would make a lovely decorative pod don’t you think? A grey pod with white bands would be very attractive.

Thanks, Lyn. I thought that about the brown one, but i think my mum’s decided to use it inside for her cockatiels! :)
      I think my shoulders need a rest before I do anymore, but they grey and milk bands would look nice.

2. shepherdessann says:

Great pods. I love playing with locks too. I am with you they look great hanging in the yard even if a bird doesn’t move in.

3. Karen says:

Oh between you and Ann i think i want to try to make one lol They look so lovely zed and i agree, even if a little birdie doesnt want it , it will still look great in a tree :)

4. shepherdessann says:

Go on care give it a go. They don’t have to be any size they don’t have to fit anyone and the design on them doesn’t even have to work out. Make them out of natural wool or bright colours. Use any kind of wool.
    I think I am going to do one for my texture

I love the pods with the locks. They just need eyes and you’d have a face. I actually like the look of flax on wool because it gets so crinkly.

Thanks, Ruth :)
      I thought my first one looked like Mr Potatohead :)
      I like the way flax does that too.

6. Vicky Etrie says:

What happens if there is a real down pour of rain and the pods get really wet. Do they sink? Love the pods and want some in my garden but we get quite a old of rain.

Thanks, Vicky :)
      I never had birds in it in the first year, the pod just hung on a tree for a year, in all weathers. It looked a bit faded and dirty so I gave it a little wash earlier this year, Feb or March then hung it back out. I think you’re meant to clear bird houses out every year anyway. I moved it to my bushes and hung it between branches of Rosemary, but I haven’t checked to see if there’s birds yet. But I live in Manchester and it hammers down here a lot. Wool is really water resistant though, it never looked like it was soggy or anything.

• Vicky Etrie says:

Fab, thanks. I have made a couple recently, but worried about putting them outside. Mine are quite plain, but I love the decoration you’ve used. I live in North East England, but don’t think it rains as much as Manchester. :)